Thursday, April 12, 2007

Don & Duke

I think all of the things that have been happening lately with Don Imus and Duke University are just crazy. Yes, Don should not have called the Rutger's women's basketball team "nappy headed hos", but can we just get over it already? There is a wonderful commentary by Jason Whitlock of the Kansas City Star pointing out that Don Imus the problem, it is the rappers and black people who use terms like "hos" to talk about women. They are the ones making it acceptable for use. Don Imus is just a lousy disc jockey who used the term inappropriately. He is not the bigger problem in this picture. Who listens to him anyway?

Then, there's the good ole Duke lacrosse team. Well, great, don't all North Carolinians look stupid now? I guess I am particularly sensitive since this event took place in my backyard. I even voted for that idiot Nifong. I think he just saw a case that could make his career - a case of racism that he could hang his name on. Did he care if there was not a shred of evidence to support the case? Apparently, he did not. Honestly, when I first heard the allegations of the "dancer" against the students, I did not believe them. My first thought was that this woman saw an opportunity to get some money from rich Duke boys. I guess that makes me a jaded person who sees the worst in people. In this case, it seems from the lack of evidence, it may also make me right.

No comments: