Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Blacksburg

What a horrible tragedy. I can't imagine what it would have been like for the students and faculty at Virginia Tech on Monday. I remember being at UGA. I would have never thought a gunman could barge into a class and kill the majority in it. It seems so unthinkable, yet I just finished a book about this very subject.

I read Jodi Piccoult's Nineteen Minutes about a fictional school shooting in New Hampshire. It was a wonderful, yet disturbing book. At least in fiction, the ends were tied neatly together and we know why the horrible events occurred. In Blacksburg, we can only piece together what is left over. So many lives taken, so many other lives affected. The scary part is that this event could have happened anywhere. You never know where tragedy may occur or how long it will be until this next one. This is the world in which we live.

No comments: