Saturday, February 16, 2008

Shiny New Bike

Two weeks ago, Bill and I went to All Star Bikes to pick up my shiny new Giant FCR. It is a beautiful road bike hybrid. The wheels are not as thin as a road racing bike, but it is not as heavy as a mountain bike. It is just right - and red!

So, last Saturday we finally got the chance to go out riding the bike. It was a beautiful day, so we went along the American Tobacco Trail to downtown Durham. The trail crosses the back section of our subdivision about 2 miles from our house. The trail goes straight downtown (about 4 miles from where we pick it up) to the American Tobacco Complex where there are restaurants and office buildings, including my former employer. We had a great lunch at Tyler's, then headed back down to trail past our house to a grocery store. We were able to pick up an item we forgot to make our dinner that evening. The best thing about the day was that we were able to have fun, exercise, go out and run errands without having to use any gas. It was a great green day for us.

I forgot how much fun it is to ride a bike. When I was a kid, I was on my bike almost every day. I would ride to school, go to the pool, and just ride around with friends. Although my butt was pretty sore on Sunday, I had a great time riding my bike. I think I had a smile on my face the whole time we were out. Sadly, Bill is sick today, so we can't go out. I look forward to our next ride together.

No comments: