Tuesday, May 01, 2007

It's a Classic

I just finished re-reading To Kill A Mockingbird last night. The book is our April selection for book club which we will discuss tonight. I am so glad that we have added at least one classic a year to our book list. I read this book back in the 9th grade. I remembered the basic storyline, but really enjoyed re-reading it as an adult. I think I got so much more out of the story this time.

I think my favorite part was when Scout realized that her teacher is a hypocrite. The teacher did a lesson of current events about Hitler and how evil he was. She went on to say that it was a crime to persecute the Jews who had given so much to society. Scout recalled the same teacher leaving to courthouse saying that Tom Robinson deserved the sentence because he is a black man and should not be treated any better. Scout knew it was wrong - all people should be treated the same regardless of race or color. It's simple human kindness. It is a lesson that we can still use today. Perhaps everyone should be made to read the book again.

No comments: