Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Young Penguins, Old Wings

The Stanley Cup Finals are now set with the Pittsburgh Penguins getting read to take on the Detroit Red Wings. I will have to admit that I have not been watching the playoffs since my beloved Canes were eliminated from the playoff picture, but this match up does intrigue me.

The Penguins are a very young team. Their captain, Sidney "the Kid" Crosby is just 20 years old. He is joined by a slightly older Evgeni Malkin. These two players made be young, but they are among the most talented players in the NHL. Pair them with veterans Marian Hossa, Darryl Sydor, and Sergei Gonchar, and you can see why the Penguins won the Eastern Conference. Heck, they even have a Staal (Jordan) on their team.

The Red Wings are old school. They have been here and they have won it all many times. Their roster is like a who's who of the best of the NHL. They dominated the Western Conference for most of the regular season, and had a relatively easy path in the playoffs.

Will youth trump experience? Will the veterans show the young ones how a Cup is won? I don't know, but I sure think it will be interesting. I just may have to watch.

The Stanley Cup Finals begin Saturday.

No comments: