Sunday, May 25, 2008

Dear Me, I think I am actually doing a half marathon

Yesterday, Bill and I got out butts out of bed and did the Galloway Training run. We met at the designated training area by 7:00 am yesterday morning. That means we woke up at about 5:45 am. On a Saturday. On a Saturday that was a little chilly and cloudy. On a Saturday that threatened rain. Even with all of those negatives, I am really glad we went.

I found my friend, Lesley, at the beginning of the run. I decided to go with the group she was running with - the 13:00 pace group. I was scared at first that I would not be able to keep up with this group for the scheduled 5 mile run. It turned out to be the best group run I have ever done.

We started off with a good 5 minute warm up walk. After syncing our watches, we began the run by doing a one minute run, followed by a one minute walk. We kept up this routine for the entire run. At first, I felt silly stopping after just one minute. I felt like I really wanted to keep going, running faster. But, I stayed with the group and enjoyed the camaraderie. People talked and got to know each other. They would ask about your goals, and you would ask about their training. We talked with the group leaders about their Galloway experiences, and I felt a real connection. We stayed together for the whole course, something I have never been able to do with other groups. At the end of the run, they told us to "run for the barn." I sprinted the last 100 yards at a pace of an 8:00 mile. I have never been able to sprint at the end of a run as I have never had the energy. I felt so great at the end of this run, I was able to open the flood gates and take off. It was a great feeling.

The overall run ended up being 5.89 miles. I finished it in 1:27, and felt wonderful. Remember, I finished the 10K (6.2 miles) in 1:22 at a full run. I can already tell that there really is something to this method that Jeff Galloway started. I was so excited at the end of the run, I signed up for the full training course.

Yes, It looks like I might be running a half marathon by the end of the year. I am a little bit scared, but not as intimidated as I was before yesterday's run.

PS - Bill felt great, too, after his run. It was his first time back in many weeks since his hip injury. He is walking and doing well today, and has put a marathon on his goal list for the end of the year.

2 comments:

Lesley Looper said...

Happy everything went well! Could tell you felt strong--you really booked it there at the end! Woohoo!

See ya Saturday :)

prancer said...

It's great to hear you're enjoying the Galloway program. I give you props for running that long in time and distance.