Thursday, March 27, 2008

JL or not JL

Well, it's getting down to crunch time. It will soon be April 1, and I will soon have to make a decision as to whether or not to continue with The Junior League. At this point, I am leaning toward staying for one more year.

I figure that in this next year, things will get better. I will move off of the only committee on which I have ever served, and onto a new committee. I hope to join Extra Hands - the group responsible for coordinating activities within the community. These events are usually done in one day and help a variety of groups in need. I think this will be a good fit for me because I do want to be more active in community service. I also think it will help me to be on a larger committee where I can meet more people.

Of course, the downside is that there is probably a lot of work to be done in this committee. You have to set up the events, find people to staff them, and coordinate the efforts on the actual day of the event. Just because it is a larger committee doesn't mean that I am guaranteed friends. I may still be the quiet girl who knows no one.

What to do??

I am torn. On one hand, I do know a few people in the League, I have tons of JL logo stuff, and I like to be busy. On the other hand, my office mate has told me that I am not allowed to complain to her if I don't like what I am doing. Complaining about The League is half the fun! Also, what happens if I am too busy? I would hate it if it cut into my beer time.

What should I do?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

1 comment:

Lesley Looper said...

I can relate to what you're going through! Just a few minutes ago I decided to bite the bullet and paid my dues online for another year. Not sure which committee I'm going for, though. I keep hoping to make more connections with JL too, but it's not as easy as it was in college. :) I'm glad we've made the running connection--one of my favorite things about this past JL year. (It was cool running with you in the Jingle Bell!)

I'll be checking back to see what you decide to do. Either way, I'm sure we'll see each other at some races!