Thursday, July 10, 2008

Life Without

Each little thing seems to set us off. You don't know how much someone means to you until they are gone. Samantha was a part of our home.

Bill put away her table that held her water and food bowls. The corner of the kitchen seems so empty. Her bed has been put away. There is a dirty ring around the place it used to be.

Bill and I went out with friends last night. It was good to get away from home and go to our bar. It felt normal. Our friends are so good to us - they really helped us feel better. Even the folks at my job have been supportive. They sent us a beautiful floral arrangement in sympathy.

This morning, I could not get up to run. I am so tired. I am weary. I feel so empty inside - like I have nothing else to give.

Here is something my good friend Devi wrote. I really like her comments.

I'm so sorry to hear the sad news...our pets have such an embedded place in our lives that it takes a long time to stop feeling like there is a hole in our hearts and in our homes when they go. I am glad that she was so loved and that she passed peacefully during the night...she had the life and death we would all want. Love always, Devi

2 comments:

Maggy said...

Devi, your long ago neighbor (I believe) and friend of many years, wrote beautiful words. It is normal that you are weary, and it is so helpful to have support of friends. We waited 8 months before getting another dog, and now Lucy is showing defined symptoms of old age. Life is precious, as we are so well reminded.

Dave said...

Sorry to hear about your pooch.