Wednesday, July 11, 2007

2 1/2 Stars for Harry

We saw the new Harry Potter movie last night in a sneak preview. It was a tricky start - our theater had a fire alarm go off just before the movie began. We all had to evacuate the building until the fire department arrived to give us the all clear. Wouldn't you know it - it was raining at the time!

Anyway, after about 8 previews, our movie finally began. I will say that I liked the movie, but only because it is part of the Harry Potter series. I think it is probably my least favorite of the 5 movies so far. It was very dark, and many of the recurring characters had little to do. You barely saw Snape or Hagrid - the movie mostly focused on the good kids. Heck, Draco Malfoy was barely in it either. I think part of the problem is that the book is over 800 pages. To make a movie of about 2 hours and 15 minutes, they needed to cut to the bare bones of the story, the part that continues the story. From what I remember in book 5, there was a reporter named Rita Skeeter who made life tough for Harry. She was not even mentioned in this story. There was very little depth to the plot.

One good point-I had forgotten about the prophecy Harry heard. I no longer fear from Harry's life as we near the release of book 7 in 10 days. It seems that killing Harry would go against the prophecy unless Voldemort lives. I just can't see J.K. ending the saga that way. So, who dies? I don't know now, but I will soon!

No comments: