Friday, March 06, 2009

My Obsessive Nature


I have a tendency to become obsessive over fictional characters. I have no idea why this happens to me, but it does happen with an alarming frequency.


My latest obsession is the Twilight book series. I had heard so much hype about the series. I knew several people at the office were reading it and several of my Facebook friends were making comments about it. I also found out my sister-in-law was reading the series.


The four book series chronicles the lives of the citizens of Forks, WA. It is basically a story about great love that transcends the human world to a world of magic and mystery. I fell hard for the first book, Twilight, and the two lovers Bella and Edward. I read this book in the car on our way to Florida for the Disney Half Marathon. The book was wonderful, unique, and amazing. I finished it between the trip down and the trip back.


Last night, I was reading the final saga, Breaking Dawn. I have become so obsessed with the story, I stayed up past midnight reading. I still have about half the story remaining (each book weighs in between about 620 pages to 754 pages). I could not sleep after reading the big bombshell. I finally fell asleep for about 2 hours, then continued to toss and turn for the rest of the night, still thinking about the story. I can't seem to get it out of my mind. I have been thinking about it all week, trying to guess what will happen next and how the series will end. I feel a little crazed as all I want to do is read. I am trying to decide if I am a loser or if the book is just that well written.


I am so glad to have a wonderful friend in the office who had been able to talk to me about the books, as well as a great friend on Facebook. They have helped keep me partially sane during this process. I will be glad to finish the series, but I think I will miss the characters. I don't think I will miss the obsession. I will be very glad to let it go and move onto the next book that I can read like a normal human being.


Of course, the DVD version of the movie comes out in about 2 weeks...

3 comments:

Lesley Looper said...

I have Twlight in my cue of books to read at home, but haven't started it yet. One of the books I'm currently reading is Dead Until Dark, by Charlaine Harris, the first book in the Sookie Stackhouse series. It's about vampires too, and the HBO series TrueBlood is based on the book series. I never thought I'd be into a book about vampires, but the more I read of this book, the more I look forward to getting back to it! I bet I'll like Twilight too.

Susan Mo said...

You will love Twilight!! It is more teen based, but the books absolutely capture the imagination. I have been having a hard time putting it down. My friend mentioned the Sookie series last night, but could not remember the name of the author. I will have to look into those books as well.

Melanie said...

I love the Sookie Stackhouse books and I'm enjoying the True Blood series.

I read all 4 Twilight books and saw the film. I'm glad I read the books first. I have my own concept of what the characters look like and the movie doesn't touch it.

Let me know what you think of the movie and don't forget to read Midnight Sun on her website. It's Twilight from Edward's perception, very cool.