Saturday, February 07, 2009

A Different Kind of a Race

This morning I participated in The Krispy Kreme Challenge. For those of you who may not know, Krispy Kreme is a donut maker naive to North Carolina. This race was dreamt up by a few NC State College student a few years back. The first year, there were about 11 participants. This year, there were over 5000 participants.

The Challenge is to run 2 miles from the NC State campus to the Krispy Kreme store. Once there, you eat 12 donuts as fast as possible. Then, you run the 2 miles back to where you started. This entire event must be completed in one hour to satisfy the challenge.

I participated as a casual runner. This means that you can eat (or not eat) as many donuts as you please. When I reached the KK store, it was so crowded with people that I just grabbed one donut and tried to find water. I never found the water, so I decided to head back.

It was a very hilly course, but I made it back in one hour and 7 minutes. In terms of running, it was one of my fastest 4 miles ever. I felt good even after eating a donut.

There were many people in costume - everything from people dressed as donuts to superheros to pirates to 2 guys in Speedos. There was even two guys who pushed their friends along the course in a shopping cart (he had broken his foot about a week ago). Even ESPN was there to cover the race - check your local listings for airing information.

It was a fun event and I am glad I did it. I think it is one of those things that it is good to say you did it once, but don't have to do it again. I have no desire to do the full challenge - the caloric content alone is enough to make me say no. At least I burned off the single donut I ate today. None of the challengers can say that.

No comments: