Thursday, August 23, 2007

Marbury: 'Dogfighting is a sport'

Needless to say, when I saw this headline from the AP in my sports section this morning, I was pretty miffed. How could anyone claim dogfighting is a sport?

Stephon Marbury of the New York Knicks defended Michael Vick in his dogfighting case. Of course, if you read the article, the quote was taken just a little bit out of context. Marbury actually said, "You know, from what I hear, dogfighting is a sport." Still, who the heck is Marbury talking to? Members of the Coalition for Dog Massacre? Sport Watchers for Canine Blood?

I'm sorry, but watching two dogs fight to the death is not a sport. It is mean, sadistic, and cruel. There is no way around it. Training animals to go after one another and teaching them to be aggressive is wrong. It is sick and perverted. It has absolutely nothing to do with sportsmanship. I, for one, hope that Mr. Vick has many years in prison to think about what he has done. And if he has to fight to the death with a fellow inmate named Chainsaw in the prison yard, that's fine by me. After all, it's just a sport.

2 comments:

Candace MacPherson said...

Great site. I've been fairly busy lately and have only gotten pieces of this story, but understand that he's pleaded guilty. It'll be interested to see the sentence.

Melanie said...

Like the new layout. Look at you changing it twice in one week! My sister got a t-shirt that reads "Save a pitbull, neuter Micheal Vick". Classic!