Monday, July 03, 2006

Wild and Wonderful West VA


Just got back from a weekend trip to West Virginia. We went up there with a group of friends for a weekend of white water and camping. I used to hate the idea of camping - sleeping in a tent, miles away from the nearest facilities. This camping is great. We are in a campground about 50 feet from hot showers and running toilets. Nothing to do but sit around a camp fire, drink some beer, and eat everything in sight.
Since there has been so much rain in the Eastern US recently, we got a special treat. We were able to run the lower Gauley River - a river not usually open until the fall when Summerville Dam is opened and fills the river. It was great to be on a different river (been down the New four times). As much fun as it was, it was a tough day for me. I think I got drenched everytime we got a wave. I fell out of the boat twice. The first time was in a rapid called Mash. A wave just threw me out of the raft, but I grabbed the strap on the side of the boat. I was able to float with it until Bill could pull me back in. The second time, I was ejected from the boat when we beached on a rock in the middle of a rapid. I landed on my back on top of the rock (thank goodness it was a big one). I am still pretty sore, but overall, a good trip. I can honestly say that I have never had an adventure quite like this past weekend!

No comments: