Monday, July 10, 2006

Sharing my writing

I have been taking a class in creative writing. It is something I have wanted to do, but was afraid for a long time. Now that I am doing it, I have really been enjoying myself. It is time to share a piece I wrote using the random words bride, car keys, and grocery store. Please leave your feedback.



The bride, the store & her car keys
Submitted by: Susan
“Where is the hairspray?” I hear someone shout at the top of her lungs. As I look up from my register at the grocery store, I see a red faced blond in a huge white dress with yards of embroidered satin trailing after her scream at Jimmy. “Did you hear me, where is the hairspray!” she screams again. Poor Jimmy, he has never been good at dealing with upset customers. He finally stammers “Aisle 5” as she has already turned on her 3 inch white heels to walk away. Her friend, wearing a long pale blue strapless gown with a matching gauzy shawl, tries to apologize before she runs after the bride. “Melissa” she calls “we’ll get the hairspray and have you looking beautiful in plenty of time for the wedding.” Melissa stares down her friend and screams “Jenna, if you hadn’t forgotten the hairspray, we wouldn’t be in this disgusting store right now, would we?” I realize that I will be the next target of Melissa’s wrath as she bears down on my register. “Hurry up, will you?” she asks me condescendingly. I hustle her through the line as Jenna gives me a look of apology. I try to give her a small smile as they leave the store in a cloud of white fury. I look down and my smile grows bigger. I spy sweet Melissa’s car keys still sitting on the conveyor belt.

No comments: