Sunday, February 07, 2010

It's all about the fitness

I am very excited about an upcoming event at work. I serve as a member of the employee appreciation team. One thing we thought would be fun to do while the year is still young is a Health and Wellness week. We have a couple of things planned, but I am by far most excited about our fitness challenge.

A colleague of mine has been doing fitness challenges for a while now. I have been doing them with her and her group of friends (which does include some of my colleagues) for over a year now. The challenges all have a theme, but the core remains the same. Workout, record your workout time in minutes, and submit that number each Monday via e-mail. I contacted my colleague to see if she would be interested in doing a company wide challenge in association with Health and Wellness week. The ME Fitness Challenge was born.

We are using a theme of March Madness. For 8 weeks, each person records their workout times, and those times are converted into baskets. The teams of 5 people have their individual scores tallied, and the teams play in a round robin type tournament until the ultimate winner is chosen.

I thought it would be nice to have 10-15 people join. Based on experience, I really thought that was all I would get. I am thrilled and excited to say we have 40 people doing the challenge - that's 50% or more of the company!!! We had to expand the teams from 6 to 8 to accommodate all of the people. I am so, so very excited that folks are participating in this event. I think it will be lots of fun, and any effects from the challenge will only be positive.

The challenge starts 2/14/10 (I know, not the best day, but people can start working off those Valentine's Day chocolates right away). I'm sure I will be posting more as the challenge continues.

No comments: