Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Wrote about politics, why not religion next?

So, I have had occasion this year to go to church twice, which may be a record for me. I was not brought up in a religious family. We never attended a regular Sunday mass, and I could probably count the number of special (Christmas, Easter) services I attended on one hand. Yet, I have been baptised. As you may guess, I have many questions about religion.

I was in church a few weeks ago, and noted that the priest talked about one God. I wonder about that statement. If there is only one God, why are there so many different religions that each believe in different things? We have Christianity, Taoism, Buddhism, Islam, Hinduism, Wicca, Paganism, and the list goes on. So, why is it that the Christian version of God is the correct one? It seems to me that is a bit presumptuous. My very smart husband pointed out that there may be one Supreme Being, but he projects himself in different ways throughout the world. It seems to make sense, but why would he do that? If you were God, wouldn't you want the whole world to worship you and have there be no confusion? Boy, that would solve most of the wars that are fought today.

It is all very confusing to me. I would like to believe that there is a God, and a better place once your time on this planet is over. Maybe religion is something that we as humans cling to so that we can make it through the bad times and the everyday boring stuff. It would stink if you died, and everything just ceased. That makes me wonder about Heaven, but I will leave that for the next entry.

No comments: