Sunday, August 15, 2010

Pain

Just when things seemed to be falling into place, they pain came. I had gone to Boot Camp last Monday morning and all seemed to be fine. I came home and changed for work, but did have some problems getting my sports bra off. It had happened before. I guess the combination of sweat and a warm body doesn't make it easy to get the piece off. I struggled a bit with my arms and torso stuck, but I did get it off. I went about my day and thought nothing more of it. By Monday night, my left shoulder was really hurting.

I thought it was one of those "just getting older" type injuries. After two days of increasing pain, I knew it was more than that. I was lucky to have already scheduled an appointment with my doctor for an annual physical, so I went and told her about the pain. She referred me to an orthopaedic doctor.

I am glad to report that there was no damage according to the X rays. It seems I have a bit on tendinitis in my shoulder. The recommended treatment is Advil and heat (I had been doing Tylenol and ice - definitely not right!) After three days of treatment, I am pleased to say that I feel much, much better.

I am lucky that I have never had an injury before now. I did decide to drop out of boot camp until the next session (the coach actually wanted me to continue on with one arm), but I want to be 100% while I am there. It seems that I have come to enjoy boot camp. I do like the changing routines and challenges. I hope I will still be up for it in a few weeks.

It was a bad week. I was really depressed and feeling such discomfort all week. On top of it, my doctor told me I am too heavy and I need to lose weight. I know it to be true, but it is still hard to hear someone tell it to your face. All of this working out is fine, but without better control of eating habits, the weight will creep up. I wound up crying for a little bit Friday morning, but it is amazing what a few days can do to your attitude. I feel better now and ready to focus on trying to lose that weight. I know it will only help my sport.

It's funny how just a few days ago I felt like I had no control and things were spinning away from me. I guess that's what pain can do.

No comments: