Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Pain Update

Update on my shoulder pain - there no longer is any pain!! I was shocked (and very happy) to recover most of my mobility just a few days after seeing the orthopaedist. Now, I have no pain at all. I am glad the Advil, heat, and rest did the trick. Now I know the recipe for muscle pain relief.

My shoulder felt so good that I participated in the Triangle Sportsplex Triathlon this past Saturday. It went fine. My results were not as good as I had hoped, but I don't think I can attribute any of it to the shoulder. It was the longest pool swim I have ever done in a tri - 400 meters. Luckily, the pool was really nice and had wide lanes. I only got passed once (by the 22 year old behind me). I had some bad turns off the wall, but I finished the swim in 10:10 which was 39th out of 54 competitors.

After a 2:03 T1, I was off on the bike. I really did not study the race course or even ride it beforehand (I wasn't sure I was even going to be able to race), so I didn't know what was in store. I should never participate in a race in a town that starts with the word "Hill". The bike course was one hill after another. I don't think there was a flat section of the course. It seemed that I was either going uphill or downhill for the full 12 miles. I am not a great uphill rider, so I finished in 46:45 - 42nd place.

I had a shorter transition in T2, and was off for the double loop run course. The uphills were not friendly to my legs. My calves felt like lead for probably the first 2 miles of the 3.1 mile course. I was planning to do 2 and 1's for the race, but I had to make adjustments for the big hill on the course. I was rounding the course to make the second loop when a water volunteer told me that I needed to start running now. It really upset me. He looked like he could run a marathon without breaking a sweat. It was my race, and if I wanted to walk, it was my business. I finished well, but my time was dead last for the run at 37:37. The sad part is that the time is very close to a PR for me. I don't know whether I should be happy that I ran close to a PR, or be sad because my near PR was the slowest run of the day.

I guess overall I am happy with the race. I was glad I could participate at all. It was nice to try a new race. I just wish it were in a flatter place.

No comments: