Monday, July 26, 2010

Boot Camp

Today was my first day of CrossFit Boot Camp. CrossFit is a gym that had a different approach to fitness. Each day is a different workout that may feature anything from running and kettlebells to rowing and push-ups. You never know what you are going to get, but each workout is designed to be a complete core workout, even if it only takes a few minutes. The key is intensity.

I am familiar with the concept of CrossFit. My sister-in-law's sister-in-law owns a CrossFit gym in Florida. My own hubby has been a member of this gym for probably about a year now. I have been to an open house, but I have never done the workout myself because I always thought it would be too hard. Hubby forwarded an e-mail announcing their latest edition of Boot Camp, and I decided to give it a try.

I had hoped today would be an orientation session. It was not. Our instructor, Ashley, introduced herself to us and got each of our names. She then sent us out to run 400 meters as part of a warm up. When we returned, she said that we would always warm up together. She got us started crossing back and forth the gym floor doing a variety of activities like high knee lifts in front, butt kicks to the back, and squats. She then demonstrated each move for the main workout. Our workout today was repetitions of three exercises - push-ups, air squats, and sit-ups. We were to do them as fast as possible starting the first round with 10 of each, the second round with 9 of each, continuing until we were to zero. When we finished, we were to yell "Time!" so she could record our times.

I can't do push-ups, so it was nice to see Ashley demonstrate several different options for movement including knees up or using a bar. She was more concerned with the posture of the push-up (straight back, chest down) that the leg position. I finished last among the girls, but strangely, sooner than both the guys. I was a sweaty mess when I finished, but I did my first workout. We finished with 30 seconds of plank, 30 seconds of rest for three rounds. I was not able to get my body off the ground, so she again showed a modification. Then, we were done.

On the drive home, I felt my right shoulder aching. I knew I would be sore, but I think I tweaked something during the push-ups or the plank. It brought to life my biggest fear - that this new workout could negatively impact my other training. I need to be able to use my shoulder for Masters swim and for the race I have on Sunday. I think it is just a fluke - a first time trying something new minor injury. I hope it feels better tomorrow.

I want upper body strength and core strength. I just don't want to have to work hard or hurt to get it.

2 comments:

Lesley Looper said...

Sounds like a great workout! Are you guys still going to UNC Wellness as well? I belonged to two gyms for a while.

Susan Mo said...

Yes, we still belong to UNC. This camp was a special deal for 6 weeks. It costs almost the same as hiring a trainer for 3 sessions! So, now I have UNC, CrossFit, Galloway, and the biking I do on my own!