Monday, December 15, 2008

Galloway Finale

Last night was our final event for the Galloway 2008 Running Season. It was our year end party held at a local fun park. We weren't sure what to expect, but it was a really nice time.

The party was in a private room off the restaurant. It was packed, but it was so good to see our fellow runners in their regular clothes. We sat together and watched a slide show of pictures from the year (some of my race photos were chosen for the show) while eating salad and pizza. We even had a birthday cake to celebrate the 80th birthday of one of our members (yes, the 80 year old is an active runner!) There were plenty of door prizes (Hubby won a gift card), and lots of surprises!

The best part of the evening was the recognition. All first time half marathon racers were given certificates (both of us) and all first marathoners were recognized (Bill). They also gave out certificates for people who made a PR (personal record) during the year. Since I dropped 7 minutes from my first race to my second, I received a second certificate for that achievement. The biggest surprise of all was that I won the Newcomer of the Year award. I have no idea how it happened, but I was thrilled. I received a third certificate as well as a gift card to a local running store. It was truly a great night and such a fun way to finish off the year.

Guess I need to get back to running. I have to keep at it and improve in 2009 so I can set another PR and finish a marathon!

No comments: