Thursday, March 17, 2011

Well, it can't be good

OK, so if you have read this blog at all, you know I am a triathlete. I am starting to train for the longest race of my career, a half iron distance (1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, 13.1 mile run). Well, I guess I am training with my friends who have long races earlier in the season (my race is at the end of October, so I will start focused training this summer.) I realized a few weeks ago that I don't really like bike riding. That could be a bit of a problem over a 56 mile course.

I am a decent swimmer and I can manage a half marathon. I just really don't like to bike. It hurts - plain and simple. It is just an uncomfortable thing for me. It hurts my shoulders, my lower back, my elbows, and my...lady parts. That darn saddle is not pleasant. I also find that I am just not good at biking. I will go riding with friends, and even when I think I am doing well, I fall far behind. It is just so disheartening.

I did my longest ride ever a few weekends ago. It was 50 miles over a fairly hilly course. I did it, but it just took everything out of me. My body was so achy, I told AC at one point that I would walk back to the start pushing my bike if I could. I can't really imagine running after it, but, then again, I will be so happy to be out of the saddle that running may be a breeze.

People keep telling me that I will love the course of my half iron distance because it is really flat (hubby and several friends did this race last year.) Still, I don't know that a flat course will help. I will still have to be on the darn bike for 56 miles.

One woman told me that I should do upper body work to help my biking. I am already doing CrossFit, and I will continue to CrossFit to build strength. Will it be enough? The same friend said to carry pain relievers with me during the race. That may be my best bet.

No comments: