Monday, March 07, 2011

Reflection on Oscars - One week later

OK, so I have been a slacker about blogging lately. Sometimes, I just don't have anything to say. Other times, I just can't find the time to say it. Well, I figured after going on and on about the Oscars, I had better finish the thoughts with my review of the actual show.



This year's show was underwhelming, to say the least. The fashions were amazing - I was not disappointed there. The show itself was just...bad. I don't know what happened. I was so looking forward to seeing Anne Hathaway and James Franco host the show. The commercials the two of them made for the show were so cute!! Once they started, it was like there was no chemistry. Anne was very enthusiastic about being a host. She is GORGEOUS beyond words, but her hosting was nothing special. James is also quite handsome, but he just seemed like he didn't want to be there. He didn't really seem all that interested in the proceedings. They seemed so good on paper, but it didn't work. I hope they go back to older comedians next year.



I think the other problem is that it is the last award show of a long season. There are no surprises anymore. The same 4 people took the awards for acting in the major categories. We have just done it to death now. There is no intrigue, no anticipation as the envelope is opened. You know which name will be called. At one point, I wanted to yell at the TV "just give Colin his award so I can go to sleep!" It was taking too long to get to the end we all knew was going to happen.



I almost wish I didn't watch the show. I didn't learn anything unique or different with the show. I could have watched a 10 minute wrap up of the event and probably been OK with it. I used to enjoy the Oscars so much, but they have lost their spark. I will still watch all the nominated films (6 of 10!), but will I watch the show again? Time will tell.

No comments: