Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Rest in Peace, Mr. Hughes

I was just listening to Billy Idol's cover of "Don't You Forget About Me." It takes me back to my teen years. The Breakfast Club was the first R rated movie I ever saw in the theater. We walked up to the box office to buy the tickets, but they would not sell them to us as we were clearly not 17 years old. The person who drove us to the theater (I can't remember if it was my parent or my friend's parent) stepped up to get us the tickets. In we went to our first adult movie.

To this day, The Breakfast Club is still a favorite. It makes me laugh, it makes my cry, and it makes me remember that people may look different, but we are mostly all the same on the inside. We all feel pain, sadness, happiness, and fear. It is finding that similarity in your fellow man that makes it easier to go through life.

Like Michael Jackson, John Hughes was a huge influence on me as I was growing up. It is hard to believe that both are gone. They will always remain in my heart and mind, as I am sure they will in millions of people, old and young, throughout the world.

No comments: