Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Community Giving



I decided at the beginning of this year that I wanted to focus on community giving. Well, I have been trying to do just that, but it has been tougher than expected.

I organized a team to walk in the local Race for the Cure. I really thought we would have a good turn out. When I first made mention of the idea, people said they would be happy to join the team. I thought for sure people could take a few minutes out of their weekends to walk 3.1 mi for a worthy cause. Well, I was disappointed.


We had 8 people sign up for the team. Out of those 8 people, four actually showed for the event. With more than 40 people at the office, I ready hoped the turn out would be greater. I know that the economy is tight, and perhaps that is why people could not sign up. I know it is also summer, so that could have been a factor with people vacationing. It is just discouraging when you set up these things and four is the best turn out you get. My colleague, Beth, was a brave soul who walked with hubby and I in the heat. Another colleague ran the competitive race earlier in the morning (as did hubby), but we never saw him in the mass of people who were there. I did not run the 5K, but did a 5 mile run on my own before walking.


I was thinking of having a Habitat for Humanity work day in the fall. I am now going to rethink that idea. I would not want to be the only one to show up.


I am not giving up yet - I will be working on the Extra Hands committee again this year for the Junior League. Our committee puts together one day events for a variety of charities that need help. We get a better turn out - membership requires that ladies do at least on of these events a year!

No comments: