Sunday, January 09, 2011

Great Expectations for 2011

2011 is the year I will turn 40. It's funny. I remember as a young teen thinking the year 2000 was so far away, and I would be 28 then. It seemed so strange. I never really though further out than 2000, but here we are 11 years later. I guess the good thing is that I don't feel like I am almost 40 years old. I still feel like a 28 year old.

So, to celebrate this milestone, I have decided to participate in the hardest, longest triathlon race of my life on the last day of my 39th year. I will be racing in the Beach 2 Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon. The race will be a 1.2 mile ocean swim, a 56 mile bike ride, and a 13.1 mile run. All of these events must be completed within 9 hours. Luckily, I have about 9 more months to prepare for the race.

I was inspired to do this event after watching our group of tri friends finish it this past November. I trained with most of them during their preparations. I may not have trained for as long or as hard, but I was there. I felt that I wasn't ready to move on to the longer distance - that it was just too much for me to accomplish. I began to change my mind while sitting out and being the team photographer during the 2010 race. I kept thinking to myself that I should be out there with them. I may not be as fast as any of them, but I still have the ability to complete the race. So, on the day registration opened for 2011, I was ready.

It will be a challenge, but I think (hope) it will be a attainable goal. There is a lot of work ahead, but I feel that I will conquer 70.3 miles on October 29.

3 comments:

unwashedflyer said...

if i was you, i would make preparations now which means diet. diet can help you exercise more than people might think. but you probably already know that and don't need me to tell you.

yes, i remember 2000. i was only fifteen! i am now obviously twenty five. sometimes you might ask yourself where has all the time gone.

Jon O. said...

Good luck to you and Bill on your ambitious plans for 2011. I guess we'll see you around Thanksgiving when its all over :)

Susan Mo said...

J-I think you will see us before Thanksgiving. We are going to need beer!